Scholarly project objectives
OCCME in partnership with the Office of Scholarly Engagement now offers a research pathway for Community Engagement Scholarly Projects. The objectives of the Community Engagement Scholarly Project are:
- Demonstrate work by the student in partnership with a community, and centering community needs
- Foster an extended, mutually beneficial partnership between the student, faculty, and community mentors
- Spark curiosity, develops critical thinking skills, and offer analytical tools for the future physician-scholar
Need help? Here's guidance for each step of the way.
Just getting started?
- Want to explore a scholarly project created in partnership with a local community-based organization?
- Interested in building community engagement into your scholarly project?
- Need to be connected with a mentor?
Email OCCME@hms.harvard.edu to set up a time to meet with OCCME faculty, brainstorm, and make connections!
Ready to commit?
- Already connected with a community partner, have an idea, and mentor selected for your scholarly project?
- Already vetted your idea with a faculty member from the OCCME?
- Ready to commit to this partnership/project for your HMS scholarly project?
Time to finalize?
- Finalized a research question for your scholarly project?
- Identified a community partner and co-created this project with their input and support?
- Identified both an HMS-affiliated and a community-based mentor?
- Had an LOI and draft proposal reviewed by OCCME faculty?